Monday, November 19, 2007

Overpaid Turkeys....

Alright, well, now I'm on vacation so I have some more time to post. My thoughts...

The Yankees have apparently cooled on Mike Lowell and although in my last post, I expressed some interest in the Yankees going after him, I have since flip-flopped on that issue. I know, I know, I had better just stick to my guns, but nevertheless, after doing some thinking, I realized it really wouldn't make that much sense because of a couple reasons: stats, age and money. First of all stats: as I mentioned in my last post, Lowell's splits were pretty extreme. He hit well over .350 and home and under .280 on the road. I think it's pretty obvious that he is made for Fenway Park. He's a pull hitter and I watched over the course of the season, as he roped line drives into that wall, or lifted shallow fly balls over it. I think it's pretty obvious Fenway suits him well. Because of that, I shy away from him coming and playing for the Yankees. It's 399 to left center in Yankee Stadium, a lot of those very impressive home runs at Fenway in to the Monster Seats, would be outs at the Stadium. Sure, he can go and play for anyone else, which part of me feels is going to happen, but not for the Yanks. Second reason: age. He's old, relatively. I know, he's only about 2 and half years older than Mr. Rodriguez, but let's be serious here folks, they're not on the same plane. Oh yes, Mike Lowell had a tremendous season and he dominated in the postseason, unlike another AL East third baseman (STILL NOT HIS FAULT, give it up people, it's not his fault. All of you who don't want A-Rod on your team because he isn't a "winner" are on drugs. Look at the stats, the only series where you can really point to him not helping out at all is the 2006 ALDS, but even then, there are multiple culprits, not just A-Rod) but Lowell is past the prime of his career, and he had this tremendous season, in a walk year. Javy Lopez anyone? Yes, Lowell is the "consummate" professional, a very nice guy, but to be honest, I could care less. I don't want the Yankees giving a 33-, soon to be 34-year-old third baseman, who just had a career year, 4 years at about 14 million per year, or something like that. It's not worth it. As I read somewhere else: that would be an "Old Yankee Signing", a stop gap. The more I think about it Wilson Betemit, who is still young, is much cheaper, and in the long run, probably a much better option at first. He doesn't need to be a dominant force in that lineup. And that's if he gets regular playing time. There's Andy Phillips and the Giambino (finally in the last year of his deal), so there are some options at first, and signing Mike Lowell would just an "eff you" to the Red Sox, and I don't feel as though that's necessary. That's a Red Sox thing to do, honestly. Oh, and money...the Yankees don't need to spend more money. They need to spend it on the right things like: signing Johan Santana to an extension if they get him....money is not a problem for the Yankees, but that doesn't mean they have to go ahead and just spend it...

Apparently, according to ESPN.com, talks with A-Rod are "in the bottom of the fifth inning". Wow, tremendous use of a baseball analogy. But, I assume the talks are going to get done. Hank Steinbrenner said the issue was really about just getting it down on paper. I would be very surprised and very depressed if this deal fell through.

Mariano Rivera has thrown his little conniption and is apparently close to accepting the Yankees original 3 year/$45 million deal. That's a good thing, cause if he didn't accept that deal, I would punch him in the face and say good riddance. I love Mo, don't get me wrong. And just like Gelbs, he's one of my most favorite Yankees and I want him to finish his career in pinstripes. But that doesn't mean I would give him absolutely anything he wanted. He's going to be 38 pretty soon, and he's already getting a 3 year deal. A fourth year would be borderline ridiculous. I think he realizes that no one else is going to give him that kind of money and more years. The Yankees are overpaying, yes, but I think it's to pay him in kind for all he has done for the Yanks. I know he talked about following Torre out to the Dodgers, but I think he's forgetting that the Dodgers already have an All-Star closer in Takashi Saito. They wouldn't spend more than 3 years, and $45 million dollars on Rivera. Plus, i'm guessing Mo wants to close, and I don't think they would move Saito, it would just be awkward for Rivera. I think he's making the right choice.

Tommy Glavine is going back to the Braves, reuniting with at least one of the big three in Atlanta, Mr. John Smoltz. This is probably a good deal. It's worth about $8 million for one year and this is probably the only place Glavine can pitch. Glavine is a definite HOFer after winning his 300th game this year, but there's no way he could pitch in the AL. He's what I like to call a crafty lefty. He doesn't throw hard, of course, he never did. He relies on location and that changeup to get hitters out. And it worked pretty well last year. Even with the Mets' late season meltdown, Glavine finished with a 13-8 record, a 4.45 ERA (which was under 4 for most of the year) and he threw 200 innings. Plus, he doesn't need to be a front of the rotation guy with the Braves, he needs to be a back of the rotation guy, not unlike Mike Mussina for the Yankees and Curt Schilling for the Red Sox. They don't need to make too many starts and they aren't being relied on for 15-20 wins, and if they were, everyone would be very dissapointed. I can't think of Glavine in any uniform but the Braves. I think this is a good deal.

Oh, the MVP's are announced today and tomorrow, AL first. If you actually think anyone else should be the MVP in the American League, besides A-Rod, please, either state your case, or shut up. If you don't think he should be, just because you don't like him, then you have a problem. A-Rod deserves it, and not just because he put up ridiculous numbers, but bccause he carried the Yankees. THAT'S an MVP. Though, if you have some other ideas, please, let me know. In the NL, I am torn between Jimmy Rollins, SS for the Phillies, and Matt Holliday, LF for the Rockies. They both had TREMENDOUS seasons, Holliday with the power and RsBI and Rollins with everything else. But if I were to make a decision, I would have to give it to Jimmy Rollins. He was the spark plug for the Phillies over the last month and he played great defense. The 20-20-20-20 thing with doubles, triples, homers and stolen bases thing was incredible. I just think he really was an MVP. Both guys had help in their lineups in Howard for Rollins and Helton and Atkins, and Hawpe and Tulowitzski (I think that's wrong) for Holliday. But Rollins deserves it, i wouldn't be surprised if the vote were VERY close.

Anyway, that's all. The family comes up this week for Thanksgiving fun. It absolutely is my most favorite holliday. It's going to be a great week. If anything comes up, or if I get bored, then I'll be back.

2 comments:

Gelbs said...

I think what they meant to say about the A-rod deal was that if the contract negotiations were a tennis match, this would be a women's doubles match. In said match, the Yankees lead 5 games to 4, have an advantage, and are serving. But it's only the first set.

Gelbs said...

Also, David Wright's my MVP. Check out his numbers and his baserunning. Had a sweet year on D over at the hot corner, too.