Monday, February 18, 2008

Out of Hibernation

Well my baseball fan friends, it's me, Michael, back from a long winter and back to the blog. I know many of you have waited with baited breath...or something like that, but your wait is over. Pitchers and catchers have reported (to Spring Training, NOT Capitol Hill, though they've done that too) and we are almost ready to begin.

I will be completely honest though, I did not spend a lot of time thinking about baseball since the last time I posted, December 13, simply because I was spending that time watching my beloved New York Football Giants make their march through history. I probably will discuss the amazingness that was Super Bowl XLII at some point, just because I have to mention it everyday, BECAUSE of its amazingness, but now is not the time. It's almost baseball time, and I want to talk baseball.

Spring Training is afoot, and as I like to say, we have escaped the "Dark Ages", or the time between the Fall Classic and February. I'm very excited for the season, I think it is going to be a great one. The Yankees, Red Sox and...Rays???? are equipped to compete in the AL East. Ok, maybe just the first two, but the Rays will be better this year...I think. In the AL Central, there is a definite possibility that a year-long, battle royale will occur between the Indians and Tigers, who overhauled their offense into a pitcher-crushing machine.... The AL West? I don't know, the Angels are always ok, but with a front two of King Felix and now Eric Bedard, Seattle looks formidable. In Quadruple A, or the National League, the NL East is primed for a battle between the Mets with Johan and the Phillies, the defending champs. Figure the Braves to be in the mix as well. Who knows about the NL Central. Isn't this the Cubs year? Wait, that was last year...or 2004? No, it was 2003? Steve Bartman? What? Ok, I have no idea. Does Tony LaRussa even care anymore? Will he have a bunch of 12-pitcher innings, mixing and matching pitch for pitch? "Ok, it's 0-2...let's bring in s0-and-so, he's got a good curve. Ok, 1-2, we want a fastball, bring in the hurler..." The NL West looks like it's going to be D'Bags, sorry, D'Backs and the Rockies with the Padres in there and Joe Torre leading an underachieving Dodger team into the mix as well. Could be very exciting.

Basically, it looks as though the 2008 Baseball Season is going to be fantastic. Two stadiums will be hosting their last baseball games: s*** Shea and Yankee Stadium, the glorious cathedral it is. The Nationals are opening up a new stadium, and I'm in Washington this semester, and I'm definitely going to experience that. Plus, at Fenway they...oh wait, they didn't really do anything. All in all, I'm excited. I'm still glowing about my G-Men, but I'll try and focus on baseball. Back later for some real analysis eh?

1 comment:

GDid said...

i love you and im glad youre back