Thursday, March 27, 2008

Preview Part II: American League

Yesterday I attempted to predict the National League, or, as I like to call it, Quadruple A. Part of me really wanted to do the American League first, specifically the AL East, but I tried to avoid that, or at least hold off for one day. Of course, that day is today and I've been doing some thinking, and without further adieu, here is my 2008 American League preview:

AL West
The west, the smallest division in baseball with only four teams is actually going to be very interesting. The two top teams, the Angels and Mariners improved, specifically the M's and their pitching, while the A's regressed and the Rangers remained their same terrible self. Recent developments however have changed my thoughts on how the west is going to shape up.

Mariners: As of 24 hours ago, I was set to put the Angels (whom I hate) in the top spot, but certain things have happened regarding certain players on the Angels roster that have changed this. The Mariners added Oriole lefty Erik Bedard to their rotation and there is no way that is going to hurt. Bedard is a very good young pitcher, who has done very well the last couple seasons in the AL East, arguably the toughest division in baseball. This gives King Felix Hernandez a chance to relax a little as he does not have the hopes of Seattle resting on his young right arm. The offense should score enough runs to allow a very good bullpen capped by JJ Putz to close out a fair amount of victories.
Angels: Yesterday it was discovered that Kelvim Escobar, he of the 134 ERA+ from last season was probably going to have to have season-ending and possibly career ending shoulder surgery. That is really too bad, cause Escobar and Lackey up at the top of that rotation certainly would have propelled the Angels to another division title, but without Escobar, I'm not convinced. Weaver regressed over more innings last year and they just don't have enough offense outside of Vlad. Sure they added Torii Hunter, but they already had Gary Matthews, a light-hitting good defensive outfield. Kendrick is good, but I'm not sold. No Escobar is not good.
Rangers: The Rangers just are not going to be good. They have yet to stock-pile, or even pick up any good pitchers, and when they do, those pitchers get mad cause they pitch in Arlington which is a home run haven. The offense may score runs, but Hank Blalock has been on the downfall since is All-Star Game winning homer in 2003 and last year he only played in 58 games. Not enough in Texas.
Athletics: Supposedly this is a rebuilding year and I agree. Rich Harden, if he stays healthy is really good, but it is not nearly enough.

AL Central
The AL Central I think is going to be much like the AL East has been the last couple of years: an all-out, season-long battle between two teams who are way better than any of the others in their division. Those two teams are going to be the Indians and Tigers. It will be fun.

Tigers: I was extremely hesitant to pick the Tigers here because although their offense is going to be VERY good, their pitching, despite what people say, I think, is not that good. They have Justin Verlander, who is a bonafide ace, but beyond that, what do they have? Dontrelle? No thank you. Willis pitched in the NL last year, in a pitcher's ballpark and sported a crisp 5.17 ERA, a WHIP of 1.597 and an ERA+ of 83. How do you think he's going to do this year? Probably not that well. Robertson and Bonderman are solid, and I think they'll have barely enough pitching to edge out the Indians and that's just simply because of their ridiculous offense. Their bullpen too, is a little bit of a question mark, I know I don't trust Todd Jones. Let me just say I could easily flip these two teams, but I picked the Tigers over the Indians for the reasons I'm about to discuss.
Indians: I think the Indians are very talented. Last year they had probably the best 1-2 combo in the game with Sabathia and Carmona. However, I think that will change this year. Sabathia is in a contract year, and I think he will perform very well. Carmona on the other hand, I believe is headed for a hard fall. He threw about 74 innings in 2006, and last year he threw well over 200. That means he is in for a regression, and an injury. That's what history has taught us. If he pitches like he did last year, that gives the Indians the advantage because their lineup is pretty darn good too, and they have a pretty dynamite bullpen. But I think just having Sabathia and big question marks in Carmona and Westbrook doesn't quite cut it.
Twins: The loss of Santana will be devastating for the Twins. Yes, they have Liriano coming back but it's no guarantee he pitches like he did two seasons ago. It would be fun to watch if he did, but who knows. The offense will be pretty solid, but there really isn't enough all around for the Twins to compete with the Indians and Tigers.
White Sox: I hate Ozzie Guillen. I didn't think this team was good last year when they were bad, and I don't think they're good this year. I bet Konerko will have a better year, but they don't have really much of anything elsewhere. They had the worst OBP last year, and that's one of the big reasons they were terrible. They'll finish fourth, and I could not be happier. Put it on the board, yes.
Royals: Alex Gordon is good...or at least he will be.

AL East
Ah, and now we get to the premier division in baseball. Sure some might argue it's the AL Central, or something else, but it's not. In this division you have the two most popular teams battling it out over the course of the season, and nothing could be more exciting. I have though long and hard about my prediction for the AL East and I know many will think I'm just being a homer when I make my pick, but hopefully I'll be able to provide some accurate reasoning to convince some people that I'm not a blind Yankees fan.

Yankees: Yes, yes, I'm aware that many think the Red Sox are the much better team, but I think that is absolutely false. First, lineup wise, the Yankees have the second best lineup in baseball behind the Tigers, and that is the truth. They are going to score runs, and it will be fun to watch. When you have Robinson Cano hitting eighth...that is a sight to behold. The real question concerns their pitching. However, they have Chien-Ming Wang at the top of the rotation and he has been the most consistent starter in baseball over the last two seasons, and that's good. Then there is Pettitte, who I still honestly believes has some gas left in the tank and Mussina, who did show in September of last year that he has something let. Will he be able to bring it out? That's the question. The Yankees are relying on some young guys too, Joba, Phil Franchise and Kennedy, but they all have shown they can pitch at the Major League level. How about over the whole season? That is the big question that I think another AL East team also has. The bullpen has the potential to be scary or pretty decent. The Yankees season depends on a lot of if's, but the reason I put them first is because of their lineup and their potential. Of course, I will be honest and say it is a relative coin flip and they could easily be supplanted by the Red Sox. But we'll see.
Red Sox: The Red Sox are more than likely going to be good. Their lineup is very solid and they don't really give up at bats. I am curious as to see if Jacoby Ellsbury can produce over a full season. I don't think he can, but he'll be good, I won't deny that. It will also be interesting to see if Lackadaisical JD Drew recovers, which I don't think he will, because he NEVER HAS. Anyway, on to the pitching. Beckett is good, that is for sure. After him though, I think the Red Sox have the same questions as the Yankees. Curt Schilling? Will he pitch this year? Can you really rely on Tim Wakefield? I know he usually wins games, but eventually he won't, when will that happen? And all I hear from a lot of Red Sox fans and bloggers is that the Yankees are relying on young pitchers, but so are the Red Sox. Lester's career stats are really not that good (4.68 ERA and a WHIP of almost 1.6) and who is to say that Buchholz is going to pitch well but, for example Phil Hughes won't? It doesn't make sense. And why is it a guarantee that Dice-K is going to dominate? I also do not think they're bullpen is as dominant people think it is. They have Papelbon who is really good, yes, but who else? Timlin is old. Lopez can't get lefty's out. There are questions.
They have some of the same questions the Yankees have and that's why I think it is a coin flip. And I honestly think the Yankees have the slight edge, though I do feel I'm in the minority on that one.
Blue Jays: A lot of people, including ESPN's Steve Phillips say that Toronto is a "darkhorse". Well, not only do I plan on disagreeing with everything Phillips' says anyway, I think he's wrong here. We have been hearing about Toronto's potential for years, and yet, they come up with nothing. Yes, they have Halladay, and Burnett, but he has only pitched over 170 innings twice in his career, why would he do it this year? They traded away one of their best offensive players, Troy Glaus for a guy, Scott Rolen who hasn't produced since 2004. Vernon Wells signed a new contract and Alex Rios is talented, but I don't think there's enough there. They will be lucky to stay ahead of the Rays.
Rays: The Rays are talented. I'll give them that much. They have a lot of good young players. But they are also quite undisciplined and I think that will hurt them. Don't discount them for sure, with players like Crawford and even Carlos Pena (who is going to regress, but will still be good) and pitchers like Kazmir and Sonnanstine, etc. I just don't think they are there quite yet. Will they ever be? I hope so, it would be fun, but not this year.
Orioles: Nick Markakis is good...that's about it.

There it is. My MLB preview. I know that was a bit lengthy, but I like the AL, what can I say. This year is certainly going to be exciting and I'm just ready for it to get under way.

By the way, I also plan on posting some thoughts regarding Jose Canseco and his garbage about Alex Rodriguez. He is just pathetic, but that is for another time.

Just think, in about in 7 months the World Series will be going on. That's not THAT far away...right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice predictions there Mosik... haha