Thursday, October 25, 2007

Bollocks: Rockies Rocked in Game 1

Hmmm, well, let's just say that the only person I felt worse for last night, other than the Rockies pitching staff was Eric Byrnes. I don't know if anyone caught the pregame show, with the crackhead FOX team of Jeanne "My Hair Is Humongous" Zelasko, Eric "I Speak In A Monotone" Karros, Kevin "I Wish I Had This Good A Team When I Managed In Boston" Kennedy and Eric Byrnes, the charismatic, crazy, semi-overrated because of his "Eckstein Hustle Factor" outfielder from Arizona, but Zelasko would not stop taking shots at Byrnes. I think she mentioned about four times, straight up, that Byrnes is a big reason Colorado is in the WS, cause, well, he and his entire team sucked against the Rocks in the NLCS. She just kept bringing it up and I felt bad for Eric. I mean, he's a fiery guy, and although he obviously has a sense of humor, I have a feeling that sort of thing just felt awkward for him; and me for that matter.

Anyway, the game...ah, the game. Well it wasn't pretty. I haven't seen a team this hot in the Postseason, over an extended amount of time since the '99 Yankees. I would say the '04 Red Sox, but this team is only half way to what that team accomplished winning streak wise. I mean, the '99 Yankees lost only one game in the postseason, and it was to Pedro Martinez, who by the way, arguably had the best season EVER for a pitcher that year and was at the top of his game. I mean, if you're going to lose one game in the postseason, losing it to that guy, well I guess that's understandable. Other than that, the Yankees cruised through that postseason....but not really like these Red Sox are. I mean, the Sox are not even joking around. They are just hammering everything. I knew, watching the first inning, that this would not be Jeff Francis' night. I mean, everything that was hit off of him was smoked, starting with Pedroia's leadoff home run. It was ridiculous. Even Ortiz's ground out was hit pretty hard. He wasn't changing speeds, trying to replicate Josh Beckett's 3 strike out, all fastball virtuoso first inning performance, but...sorry to break it to you Jeff, but you throw 89-91, not 95-97...Beckett can get away with missing his spots on his fastball. You cannot. Never the less, even if Francis had a quality start (at least 6 innings pitched with three runs or less allowed), it wouldn't have mattered cause once again, Beckett proved that he is pitching, well, unbelievably. Just nasty. Spotting his fastball, both four- and two-seamer. When he mixes in the change it dives down and away from lefties, and heck, is curveball is just ridiculous right now. Even when he misses with it, it's not up and out over the plate. It is either in, or way down, and even then, you're going to get some of these Rockies hitters to swing at that.

I don't think I need to write anything about the Red Sox offense. Seeing Pedroia lead off with a home run gave me a bad feeling cause, well, he doesn't hit that many home runs and that ball was smoked. It just got out of Fenway over the Monster, but at a lot of other stadiums (save Yankee Stadium, cause it is like 800 feet to left-center, ok, well 399, but still, that's a monster shot for the power alley), that would've been easily out. There is going to have to be some miracle to slow down the Red Sox offense. Could it be Jimenez tonight for the Rockies? Yes. Will it be...? Probably not. I mean, it's only been a day, and after watching the game last night, do I think that this series has even a chance of returning to Boston? Well, yeah...a chance. The Rockies will have to get it turned around and they all need to get on base for Troy Tulowoidniniski, or however you spell his name. He is ridiculously good, with his glove AND bat. Those two doubles he hit off Beckett were just right on the screws. I mean, the way he hit last night, he would've been better suited for the Red Sox lineup, and let me tell you that I think any Red Sox fan would be fine switching him and Lugo...defense especially. Anyway, so tonight is Game 2, and any baseball person will tell you that momentum is only as good as the next day's starting pitcher. But I'm a baseball person, and regrettably, I'm going to tell you that right now, I don't think it matters who the Rockies put on the mound, the Red Sox are swinging video game bats right now. I mean, double digits in what, three straight games? That's ridiculous. Something is going to have to happen quickly for the Rockies. I am hoping that the 8-day layoff was all washed away last night and maybe they'll be better off facing Curt Schilling, who just doesn't throw 97 anymore. I mean, the Yankees in '96 had a long layoff and lost the first two games of the World Series to the Braves by a combined score of 16-1 (12-1, 4-0), and they went on to win. So anything can happen though all signs are pointing to yet another Red October.

I can't write another post about the Red Sox without mentioning my (and yes, they're mine) Yankees who are in the midst of a managerial search. Now, I am a huge Joe Torre fan. This is probably because he got to the postseason all 12 years he managed, and won 6 pennants and of course 4 World Series. But, I think it was truly time for him to go. I mean, think about it: what is a manager judged on for most teams? Winning games. Well, with the Yankees and the lineup they have put out there over the last 5, 6, 13 years, that's not going to be an issue. I have a feeling a demented monkey could manage that team into the playoffs. What the Yankee managers are really judged on is postseason success and lately, there has not been much of it. And when there isn't success, it's time for a change. No, I'm not blaming Torre for the recent postseason failures, it is all on the players: Jeter and Wang this year, A-Rod and the pitching last year, the pitching in '05, everyone in '04. Those weren't really Joe's fault. But this team was good enough to win in each of those years, and when it doesn't happen, sometimes you just need to make a change. There have been personnel changes, but I think maybe it was time for change at the top. I mean, I'll be honest, I was very depressed when Joe didn't accept the Yankees' terms because he is the only manager i have really ever known for my team. I remember the tail end of the Buck Showalter era, but not much. '96 was really the first year I paid attention and that was Torre's first year at the helm. I think this change is important but now the real questions begin: who will be put in charge. There were three candidates interviewed and apparently the decision as to who is selected could come today (Thursday). The three choices are former Yankees star first baseman, and recent hitting and bench coach Donnie-Baseball Mattingly. Then there is former Yankees World Series star, and 2006 Florida Marlins manager Joe Girardi. And then there is Yankees current first-base coach, catching coach, former Manager of the Year winner with the Kansas City Royals, Tony Pena. Now, I know Mattingly is the front runner, but to be honest, I don't think he's ready. I know George loves him but I don't think that's enough. My top two choices are Girardi or Pena. I think both would be great. Girardi has a relationship with the old guard of the Yankee players (Rivera, Jeter, Pettitte, Posada), and I think that is important. He also has a history of dealing with a young pitching staff, which he did with Florida and right now the Yankees HAVE a young pitching staff including Ian Kennedy, Phil Hughes and Joba of course. I think he would be a great fit as long as he doesn't EVER bunt, or play any version of National League baseball. Then there is Pena who is very popular with the Latin players, especially Jorge Posada, who attributes his defensive improvement to Pena, a former catcher. He is also very popular with the younger players, like Robby Cano and Melk-man Cabrera. I think either of those choices would be a good one. What I need is for Posada, Rivera and Pettitte to stay cause they make up the solid base of this team. I think without Posada they are not as good, and even though I love Mariano, he is getting up there, and although I dont' want him to pitch for anyone else, that is the business and if he wants to leave, maybe it's time. They need Posada, he is the rock and Pettitte would be very helpful. No Clemens please. Whoever is the manager I think will have control over a very good Yankee team, but that team will be much better if it includes Posada, Rivera and Pettitte. I'm leaning towards Pena, but I actually think it will be Mattingly, and that will be very interesting. But as long as he doesn't play "Ozzie Guillen-ball" or bunt, and as long as he just writes out a lineup card, takes out pitchers and deals with the media, I think this team will win games.

Oh, and I figured I should mention something about that A-Rod guy. I think the Yankees should pay him WHATEVER he wants. He would be stupid to opt out because with the Yankees not in the market, and with the Red Sox, in my mind, probably not going after him, the market will be smaller. There just aren't many teams who have the resources to pay him what he wants. His best bet for money and fame, which is probably what he's after, is with the Yankees. And I think he knows that. I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, if that's what he's after, then fine. I just want him in the Yankees' lineup, cause it's ridiculous with him, and less ridiculous without him. Of course World Series victories come with fame, so he'll have to get his hands on one of those. But the Yankees should give him whatever he wants, if they do, well i think he'll stay and like I said, much better team with A-Rod in the lineup.

So there are my thoughts on this Thursday morning. I talked to my cowriter last night, and he said it would be a while before he could get his hands on a post here, he is studying abroad in Mexico this semester, so I'll try and hold down the fort as best I can. Feel free to be make the maiden comment on any of these posts. Just click the comment button on the bottom, you don't have to register or anything and just let me know what you're thinking. We'll see if there's any baseball news (especially Yankee managerial news) today and if not, then I'll probably check back here after Game 2.

MMM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well wirtten blog and interesting baseball talk--from a spoiled (and disappointed) Yankees fan hating the Red Sox recent success. They did look unstoppable last night with even Gagne suceeding in the ninth.

Felice, Jake, Cal and I went to the game last Saturday. In a brilliant move, Jake purchased a discount JD Drew jersey (there was a large supply available) on the way into Fenway. Needless to say he became a fan favorite after the Grand Slam in the first. The fans (and new found friends) in our section continued to buy him beers throughout the game. They also continued to pound him on the back of the jersey everytime Drew made a good play, which was often and as a result he was bruised by the end of the game.

Anyway continue the commentary and we, the downcast fans who have been constantly humbled by the team from the Bronx, will continue our persuit for baseball greatness this year. Best regards, Bill