Wednesday, October 24, 2007

World Series

Alright, so it's Wednesday afternoon and I'm waiting for Game 1 of the World Series. Unfortunately for me, the Yankees are not participating and a team that has existed for all of 14 years is....weird. Nevertheless I am kind of excited for this, maybe because I feel as though the Rockies have a very good team, and a definite chance to get rid of those pesky Red Sox.

By the way, anecdote time: I have grown to hate the Red Sox more than I thought possible this postseason. Maybe that is because my team was dispatched quickly and I had nowhere else to focus my baseball energy (of which there is much) and so I focused it quite negatively on the Red Sox...But that is how I feel currently. I despise this team, very much, and I am very much rooting, and praying for the Rockies and for "Rocktober" (...) to continue.

Ok, I figure that all of the talk is through, i've been watching ESPN and they are going through withdrawal of the NFL and consistent baseball highlights over the last five days. They are obsessed with the most minute stuff. I think Pedro Gomez is having Barry Bonds withdrawal himself. I mean, did he ever expect to be covering the Rockies in the World Series? I dont' think so. I think he expected to spend much of his time sewn on to Barry Bonds' rather bulbous head...All i've been hearing about on SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight is about how the layoff for the Rockies is going to hurt them and althought their timing may be off, I'm thinking that any team that has won 21 out of their last 22 games is still going to be fresh. I would like to think so anyway. Plus, i've been trying to tune out most of the stuff that comes out of John Kruk's mouth and EVERYTHING that comes out of Steve Phillips' mouth, but it's unsuccessful. I'm just amazed at some of the things he says.

Anyway, I was thinking that i was going to breakdown the World Series here and see who was actually going to win, since I obviously know the answer....but then I figured, 'Hey, i think people have heard enough and are just anxious to get the games going and see what happens.' And I agree with that. Prediction wise, I'm going to have to go with what I kinda of think will happen, which is the same as what i REALLY want to happen. I think the Rockies are going to end up winning, in a longer series. I think their offense is playing at a more consistent level than the Red Sox right now, despite the Red Sox absolute domination of the Indians over the last three games of that series. Though it absolutely looked like the Indians just lost interest. Grady Sizemore? Hafner? Sabathia? Carmona? Betancourt? I mean, he was dirty, until Game 7 when it really mattered. I guess that is what happens. I think the Rockies are actually going to be fresh, especially bullpen and pitching wise and I think a Game 1 win would certainly make this series very interesting, handing home field over to the Rockies, and Coors Field is nuts right now. The Red Sox have a very good chance of winning this series. They are a very good team with a very good lineup. Youk is playing out of his mind right now, as is Pedroia and Drew for that matter. But i'm going to go with the upstart Rockies cause in 2003 I saw the same kind of thing: powerhouse Yankees with enough starting pitching against a young team with a lot of energy and a wise old veteran (Pudge), the Marlins. And we know what happened in that series. I consider this series similar to that one. Of course, if the Sox take the first two at Fenway, we're looking at a short series, I think the Rockies would flop, but I'm thinking, and praying for that matter, that that doesn't happen.

Even if we can't agree on who to root for, let's enjoy the Fall Classic for what it is: the bittersweet end to a season that began way back in February. Yeah, our teams aren't playing, most of us anyway, but we can still watch good baseball. And you can't deny that watching the Red Sox play at Fenway is exhilarating. I mean, if you like the mindboggling sound of tremendous cheers, or the sound of silence, whichever side you are rooting, it's a lot of fun. So, let's just enjoy the Fall Classic and hope Tim McCarver doesn't say too much dumb stuff...though I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: