Monday, October 29, 2007

Red Sox Win, A-Rod's Officially a Douche and Other News

Well even though I hate to say it, the Red Sox are world champions again. I don't like Jonathan Papelbon, but this picture next to my writing here really is awesome and it really does show the exuberance every player should show upon winning a World Series, especially such a great one. Papelbon was fantastic by the way, I just assumed with 10.2 scoreless innings he would've set a record, but...Rivera in '98 had 13.1, and then there was Goose Gossage who had 14.1 scoreless innings in 1981. But that's not to take away from what he, or any of the Red Sox accomplished. They really did remind me of the Yankee dynasty of the late 90's. And I'm honestly not just trying to say that to spark my memory of those Yankee teams, which would make me feel better. I offer that as a compliment to the current Red Sox. I mean, they deserved this World Series. It is rare the team with the best record ends up winning the World Series, but the Red Sox proved their best record was not a fluke. They are a complete team, with pretty solid players at every position. I mean, Varitek can't hit as well anymore but he is a rock; as is Lowell, except he can hit. Youkilis is turning into a great player, and the future looks bright for those named Pedroia and Ellsbury. Lugo players his role, as does Drew, a little...And of course there is Ortiz and future HOFer Manny. Then there's the pitching, which looks great next year. I mean, I hate to say it, but the Sox are set up for next season. I don't think they'll necessarily do it, repeats are ridiculously hard, as we have seen, since there hasn't been a repeat winner since the 2000 Yankees, but I would have to say that out of all the teams that have won since 2000, they have the best bet. But good God I hope that doesn't happen....

I figured I wouldn't talk about the Game, cause, well, everyone watched it. The Rockies fought hard, Cook pitched very well, but for the second straight night Brian Fuentes couldn't pitch. I mean, Bobby Kielty? Seriously? That's gotta hurt. Holliday played well except for the pickoff of course, Torrealba showed he can catch, then there's old man Helton, Atkins, Hawpe, etc. They definitely looked primed with maybe a little more pitching and really, despite the extension of the lead in Game 3, 3 out of the 4 games were close. I would have to say a big hit in one specific place in each of those games could've changed it around. But the hit never came and the monumental disparity between the AL and the NL was QUITE apparent. In the end the Red Sox, which I hate to say, and type now, it's like a curse word in my mind, deserved this world title. They basically won going away and for that I congratulate their fans. I think they're annoying, but this is there's to enjoy. And I can tell they are doing that cause on my campus (UVM) last night, there were huge riots, again....Well, whatever, if they wanna look like goons, that's ok. Winning is fun.

So that about sums up my feelings on the Red Sox winning, I really would not like to address that, or write about that anymore. So i figured I would talk about the news that in a lot of circles actually upstaged the World Series last night: Alex Rodriguez opting out of his contract with the Yankees. I know I mentioned this in my last blog, but since then I had hoped tha the was just joking or something...but he wasn't. The A-Rod era is done in New York and really, he is such a joke. I mean, I don't care about all of his statements during the season about wanting to stay in New York, there are plenty of phonies out there. What makes it more of a joke is the fact that he didn't even listen to the Yankees' offer and he didn't even call his teammates to let them know he was leaving. The Yankees, reports said, were set to offer him the most lucrative contract ever, 8 years/about $235 million, and he wouldn't even consider it. If he thinks he is going to get more than that elsewhere, I think he is going to be frustrated, especially cause the Yankees won't be there driving the price up. If A-Rod were most interested in the money and fame, which it appears he is, his best bet was the Yankees and in shunning them, he made himself look like more of a douche than was possible. Last night he said he couldn't go to Coors Field to accept the Hank Aaron award because of family obligations, but he was free enough to have his agent call FOX field reporter Ken Rosenthal so he could announce it during Game 4 of the World Series. What a selfish piece of garbage. If there was still a question that this was all about A-Rod, it was answered. MLB was furious with Rodriguez and Boras about this decision, and they should be. I mean heck, the only way last night could have been worse would have been if the Yankees had lost the World Series on the same night the Red Sox won it, and that's not even possible, so last night was it: the team I hate reaching the pinnacle of the baseball world and my team's and baseball's best hitter telling everyone he was testing the open market. We will see what happens though i would advise the Red Sox against going after A-Rod and messing up a good thing and I would hope the Yankees stay true to their word. Don't get me wrong, I would love A-Rod in the lineup, cause he really is the best player in the game right now, maybe ever, but after this whole performance, it would be ridiculous. A-Rod=douche.

Another newsworthy item that came to everyone's attention today was the Yankees announcing they had offered their vacant managerial position to former Marlin manager and former Yankee, Joe Girardi. They didn't offer to to the favorite, Don Mattingly, and that surprised me. However, i think Giardi is a better choice. I think he is a good manager, and he knows about the whole Yankee system, being a player in NY for a good 4 seasons. I like Giardi cause he is a winner, a winner who won without the most talent, he just did what he had to do and was successful. A new era is ushered in, and I can smell the roses....I think.

A lot of people have been talking about how the Yankees are going to stink next year without Joe Torre and without A-Rod. Are you serious? First of all, the managerial thing is really not a big deal. Look at the 04 Red Sox, if you didn't notice, they had a new manager that year. Oh, how about the 96 Yankees? That's right, Joe Torre's first year. 2003 Marlins? Jack McKeon was hired MID-SEASON and they went on to win. And the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks? Yup, Bob Brenly's first year as manager. So the managerial thing doesn't really matter. Yes, Joe Torre worked magic, or he used to anyway. When you aren't successful in winning with a team, and with the Yankees it is about winning in the playoffs, then it's time to go. And that's what happened with Joe Torre. Ok, so new manager, that's not going to be that big of an issue, the players always want to win. How about those players? So many people out there seem to be talking about the 2008 Yankees as if they switched rosters with the Kansas City Royals...hardly. Chances are they exercise their option on Abreu, and offer Posada and Rivera huge contracts while helping Andy Pettitte exercise his player option for next year. If all that comes true you are looking at a team with position players with the last names of Jeter, Damon, Matsui, Cano, Abreu, Posada, Cabrera, then there's Giambi, who is still solid. Year there are some weak spots, sure, but every team has that, I can point out the Red Sox flaws too. Then there is the pitching, well you roll out a starting rotation of Wang (19 wins), Phil Hughes, Joba and Ian Kennedy, well that's pretty darn good. A still solid bullpen when you add an arm, with Rivera and you still have a playoff team, I'll guarantee it. Sure, with A-Rod they were a lot better offensively, but I think someone out there, who is solid will find their way into pinstripes. The Yankees are going to have a good team next year so all of you who are already predicting .500 baseball from the Bronx Bombers in Yankee Stadium's last season, i think you'll be sorely mistaken....

Well, that's all for tonight. Congratulations again to the Boston Red Sox and their fans. They truly were the best team this year and this title is most deserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.