Sunday, October 28, 2007

One Sox Win Away from Red Sox Nation-Wide Jubilation

I am currently writing this post while watching Game 3 (it's in the third and it's 1-0 Sox, with Matt Holliday at the plate....this will NOT lead to a run). Anyway, I guess now I'm resigned to the fact that the Red Sox are going to win, not hard to realize that. It's been an interesting series cause (ok, he just struck out, I told you) I feel as though in Games 2 and 3 the Rockies were really close to taking the lead. Game 2 it would've been a little harder, but I mean, they had some chances and just failed to capitalize. Last night, when pinch hitter whomever mcwhomever was hitting against Timlin in the 6th, I mean, he almost made it a 6-3, it was just a SICK play by Julio Lugo that kept it 6-2. Now, of course if he had singled, then Matsui had hit in the 6th and not the 7th, so that would have meant Holliday's 3-run home run wouldn't have necessarily happened but it would've kept the Rockie momentum in the 6th, and if you watched, Timlin was not pitching well. He gave up an RBI hit, and one bomb and one line drive. The bomb to center by so close to going out. Where was the thin air on that one? Of course, despite all of this hindsight predictions, the Red Sox are dominating. Nowhere in the recesses of my mind did I think that Jacoby Ellsbury and Dustin Pedroia would be contributing this much in the World Series. I mean, I watched during the regular season and Pedroia was solid (I would still take Cano 99/100 times, or Chase Utley) but he's a solid player and Ellsbury was really solid, or great, much better than Crisp. But coming into the postseason, I was not sold on either. And boy, they have proved me wrong. Pedroia just works his ass off and it really shows. Ellsbury is fantastic right now with superb bat control, speed and great defense in center. They both are the complete package and without them in the lineup last night, that game does not go the Red Sox way. Right now I look at a join MVP award, shared, like Schilling and Johnson did in '01, between Pedroia and Ellsbury. Heck, Pedroia set the tone for the World Series in Game 1, and it has just all the way gone in the Red Sox favor....

Ok, well, i'm depressed but the Red Sox deserve their due. They've been fantastic and granted they never really faltered when they didn't have a choice in the ALCS. It's impressive. I wanted the Indians to win, and it looked like they were going to, but weird thing is...I never though they would actually pull it off. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always knew it was going to be the Red Sox, and that does not bode well for me. I shouldn't have that much faith in a team I hate. But, It appears that it is about to get very crazy as it did in 2004 on this campus. I got an e-mail sent out to the entire University community by the provost today letting everyone now that ridiculous shenanigans by students would not be tolerated since in '04, it was absolutely anarchic. The police had to be called in, with rubber bullets, vandalism, etc. So, I hope they can celebrate with some more class this year. But who knows...it is college.

Currently the Red Sox, with a 1-0 lead are about 18 outs away from victory. I hope the Rockies can save a little face by winning one game for their fans who although they are the biggest bandwagon fans EVER (they didn't follow a very good exciting young team in the regular season) they have been very loud during the two games so far at Coors. Coors by the way is really beautiful. I have been there and it is just an unbelievable stadium with awesome views, a sweet playing surface and really nice facilities. I hope people get excited about the Rockies and they get just a little more pitching. Then they'll be ready to compete year in and year out.

Alright, well, I guess I better finish watching game 4. Lester looks good, so does Cook, unfortunately he already gave up a run. What's the deal with Manny knocking his helmet off every time he runs? God, I hate him. He's a first ballot hall of famer, but he's such a wench sometimes...I hope Torrealba goes to tag him in the head next time. Give him a good ringer....Go Rockies.....? We'll see though it's looking as though the Purple and Black are going to get a taste of their own postseason medicine.

No comments: