Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Dull Baseball Friday and A-Rod

Well, yesterday, Friday, was not really that eventful in the baseball world. Of course, after next week, there's a chance that everyday could be without anything eventful baseball-wise, so I'd better get used to it. The World Series resumes tonight in Colorado and the Rockies, and everyone not part of Red Sox Nation is hoping it kind of rejuvenates the Rockies. I think Major League Baseball hopes it does too, ratings wise anyway. An exciting series is much better for them, and much better for the casual baseball fan and a Red Sox win tonight basically elminates all chances of said exciting series.

One thing that has come to my attention is the A-Rod Update. I have been reading elsewhere on the internets that the Yankees are set to offer A-Rod an extension. The extension, supposedly, would be for 5 years, and 30 million dollars per those extra five years. That deal will keep the current deal that he has, the one originally offered by Texas and signed by A-Rod in 2000, in place. THAT means, that the subsidy the Rangers still offer the Yankees, in paying a hefty amount of A-Rod's current salary will still be in place. That means that with the extension, A-Rods deal will be worth roughly 8 years, $231 million. He would certainly still be the highest paid player, but the Yankees would still have that subsidy for the first three years. That's what is important to the Yankees. If A-Rod opts out of his current contract, and still wants to remain with the Yankees, they would have to sign a whole new deal, and the Yanks would lose that subsidy. That is why the Yankees' management has mentioned multiple times, they will not pursue Mr. Rodriguez if he, in fact, opts out. A-Rod's agent, the infamous Scott Boras has lately been mentioning plenty about A-Rod's plans, but many, including me, think this is just to bulk up the contract. I think both of them know, the Yankees, are really, the ONLY team who has the financial capabilities to give him what he wants. That's why i think in the end, he will remain with the Yanks. I hope it happens, because i worship A-Rod, and he makes their lineup exponentially better, but it's been a while since the best player in baseball wore pinstripes, and I would like that to be maintained.

So basically that's what's going on: not much. There is something I would like to pass on. One of the blogs I have been reading of late, introduced to me by my currently vacant co-writer Mr. Gelbs is called www.firejoemorgan.com. This is a very, very funny, sarcastic blog run by a bunch of guys who believe in sabermetrics and those advanced stats that tell a better story of baseball than batting average, wins, etc. So, i would like to invite anyone who likes baseball, and laughing to head on over there, it's good stuff. Anyway, Game 3 begins in about 40 minutes for me here in Vermont and I'm waiting to see what happens. I'm rooting hard for the purple and black. I really don't know if I could psychologically take another Red Sox World Series title.......of course, i HAVE been watching the World Series, and I certainly know what direction it is taking...

No comments: